The Liebster Award
I returned from my amazing holiday week in beautiful Las Vegas to a nomination from Kaitlynn from Pearl Innovations for The Liebster Award. Kaitlynn is a super talented blogger I have had the pleasure to get to know recently, and I definitely recommend that you check her out! Whether you are interested in food, crafts or travel, she’s got something for you!
The whole basis of this award is the chance to help newer bloggers get out there and be noticed. In that vein I decided to discover some new blogs as well myself! So rather than using my nominations all on blogs that I am already familiar with I chose a few favourites, and then started doing some searching to find new bloggers that I hadn’t previously read.
I found SO MANY great blogs! Far more than I had space to nominate on here. It is amazing to take some time and just see all the great talent that is out there. I highly recommend that each of you just take an hour out of your busy schedule one day and focus on reading solely new blogs you have never before experienced. Step out of your usual routine and try something new – I know I was able to add a bunch to my list of ‘must follow’ blogs!
For those that may not have come across this award, here is the information that I received from Kaitlynn:
About The Liebster Award:
The Liebster Award is given to new bloggers from other new bloggers. It’s a way to get our blogs out there and share the love! Here are the rules:
- Post 11 facts about yourself
- Answer the 11 questions your nominator has asked you
- Nominate 11 other bloggers
- Ask them 11 other questions
- Let them know that you’ve nominated them
- Be sure to link up with the blogger who nominated you!
So, without further adieu…
11 Facts About Me:
- I took martial arts most of my childhood, and have a black belt.
- When we first met my awesome husband thought I was married. It wasn’t until he learned that wasn’t the case that he asked me out.
- I play saxophone – the baritone saxophone being my absolute favourite.
- I am addicted to Tim Hortons. Who needs sleep when you can get your hands on a Tim Hortons Steeped Tea?
- I am an Ovarian Cancer survivor.
- I have currently gone back to school, this time for my Business-Marketing diploma (round one was University for Music). I previously had certifications in Social Media Marketing, but wanted to take it a step further so here I am…
- I believe that all problems in life can be solved with chocolate, vodka, wine and/or really loud music.
- The inspiration for our entire wedding (colours, the inclusion of red roses everywhere, etc) was the tattoo on my back. My amazing husband was all for my quirky way of choosing a wedding theme haha
- I love shoes, and there is very little I can’t do with a pair of heels on. Seriously, my friends would agree with this.
- I live with a 24/7 desire to just pack up and go. The need to travel is real! The best travelling are trips that I can take the pups on!
- My favourite band of all time is Guns N Roses.
What I Have Been Asked:
1. What is the best blogging advice you have received so far?
The best advice I was given was to throw all ideas that I had developed of what a blogger ‘should be’ aside and just be genuinely myself. There are far too many carbon copies in the world, not even just within the blogging world, but in the world as a whole. Only you have the ability to be YOU at the end of the day!
2. What is the best non-blogging related advice that you have ever received?
To always chase your passions in life. There are many jobs or careers I could go out and fill, but none will fit ‘right’ if I am not passionate about it. I made that mistake, and worked for 7 years in an industry that just wasn’t a good fit. Taking the step to leave that career and chase after what I really enjoyed doing has made me SO much happier!
3. How did you come up with the name for your website?
I have a Digital and Social Media Marketing business called The Social Alternative. I wanted to somewhat tie the two in together but still have them be their own separate entities. Alternatively Speaking was the fun spin off that I came up with.
4. What is one goal that you have for the upcoming year that you are determined to achieve?
To finish my diploma! If all goes well, and I complete and pass all classes as I have it planned out I will be writing my final exams in December/January. This will be the next big step in my business so I am SUPER excited!
5. What is one goal that you have achieved in the past year that you are especially proud of?
Finally found the perfect house – a place that fits everything on my ‘must have’ list and more! This whole house saga started a few years ago when my husband made the decision to change careers. He was previously managing a commercial farm, and we lived on site. The change of career meant a change of address – we ended up in a temporary house while still hunting and managed to find this one finally! I am seriously loving this place, and for the first time in a LONG time actually planning on staying in one place.
6. If you could be any animal instead of a human, what type would you be?
Tiger – I have a serious love of tigers! Especially white tigers, they are so stunning and there is a whole connection that I have made thanks to the four symbols of China.
7. What is your favorite hobby and why?
Music! I LOVE playing the saxophone, listening to music and even (don’t quote me and if my friends are reading this ignore this line) singing. Everything about music is what makes my world go round. My house is never quiet, there is always music going in some way, shape or form.
8. Who is your role model?
I’m going to roll with the music part of my life and list my role models there. I am in love with the music of Charlie Parker and Harry Carney.
9. If you could choose any TV show, book, or movie character to be your best friend, who would you choose and why?
Max from Two Broke Girls! She is like my soul mate hahaha
10. If you only had one chance to time travel for a day, what time period would you choose and where would you go?
The 1920’s. I have a serious love of all things the 20’s – Speak Easy’s, Jazz music, their style! Love it!
11. What is the one thing that you cannot live without?
I’m going to go with one material thing right now, so excluding the obvious things like the amazing people in my lilfe and all my furbabies. Those things aside – I can’t live without a saxophone. If I couldn’t play for the rest of my life, my life just wouldn’t feel complete!
Who are My Nominees?
Now for the moment you have all been waiting for! Who am I going to nominate to do this next?
- Erika from Entirely Erika
- Kerry from Running Forward… My Way
- Rebecca from Rebecca’s Radiant Life
- Heather from Powder Me Perfect
- Natalie from Gorgeous and Geeky
- Cassie from Zombie Goddess Beauty
- Irina from Beautyholics.co
- Jennifer from The Glamorous Pineapple
- Shawntel from More Spoons
- Lisa from A Bad Vegan
- Jess from Jess of Trades
Now for the fun part – Coming up with questions for you all to answer! This is the point where you take the following questions and run, keeping this challenge moving on to the next round of amazing talent!
11 Questions for the Nominees:
- What inspired you to start blogging?
- What is one piece of advice that you wish someone had given you before starting your blog?
- What is the most memorable vacation you have ever taken and why?
- What is your go to fuel – Coffee, Tea, Hot Chocolate or some other glorious provider of energy when needed?
- What is your favourite social media platform, and why?
- If you could design your ‘perfect day’ what would it look like?
- In what ways do you inspire yourself to come up with new content?
- What is the one app on your phone you couldn’t live without?
- What is your favourite band or artist?
- What is your favourite childhood memory?
- Do you have any major blogging goals for 2017? If so, what are they?
Alright ladies! I now pass on the torch to you! Go out there, find your own crop of nominees and share a little insight into who you are with all of your readers (myself included, because I will be watching, excited, to see what each of you share with your own posts)!
Running with some of the questions that were posed to me – What is the best advice, blogging related or non-blogging related, that anyone has ever given you?