One thing that is definitely true in our household is that we are always on the go. From road trips to visit family to camping vacations, hiking with the pups to the various band-related events that I regularly attend. There are some months that I honestly believe that despite working from home, I’m on the move more than I am at my own house! With a schedule like this, we are always on the lookout for snacks and foods that are quick, easy and ready to go. This is how I ended up making these delicious cereal bars.
Cereal isn’t something that we keep around our house too much. Often packed with sugar, a lot of the varieties that are out there today are far worse for us than many people realize. One exception to the ‘we avoid’ cereal rule is Cheerios. Now sure, some of the flavoured varieties are also up there in sugar as well, however, original Cheerios are a much healthier choice. Fortified with vitamins A, C, D, B-6, B-12, niacin, thiamine, riboflavin and folic acid, they are a great addition to a healthy diet!
Note: This post is not created in conjunction with or sponsored by General Mills. The information I am choosing to share here is 100% my own opinion and personal endorsement.
Not only are these bars made with this nutrition packed cereal, they are also sweetened with honey instead of sugar, making them a great guilt-free choice to give the kids! Plus, to top it all off, they are SUPER simple and quick to throw together. What bigger win/win is there than something that tastes great, is relatively healthy (I know, I know, there are chocolate chips) and is quick to grab and take with you regardless of what you may have going on.
So, without further adieu, here is the recipe. We used white chocolate chips simply because I have an addiction to white chocolate (which is why you can’t see the chocolate in the pictures), however, you can use whatever makes you drool!
Are you going to experiment and try out some new and interesting combinations? Maybe you want to try a different cereal option or adding a new ingredient? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
- 4 cups Cheerios cereal
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Line an 8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix cereal, peanuts and chocolate chips. Set this bowl aside, you will come back to it later.
- In a large microwavable bowl, microwave peanut butter, honey and butter uncovered on high for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until the mixture is well blended and slightly thickened.
- Pour the contents of the microwavable bowl over the cereal mixture, stirring until all contents are evenly coated.
- Press the mixture firmly into the lined pan.
- Refrigerate the pan for approximately 1 hour, or until it is firm enough to cut into bars.
- Store your bars at room temperature for up to 1 week.