The summer heat has hit our area, and with a vengeance! With the humidity climbing, it is a wonder that we aren’t all melting! While I love the fact that my new house has central air, so I can easily cool down staying indoors, I’m not much of an ‘indoors’ person!
I LOVE being outside – the sun, the breeze, the smells, the peace and calm of it… I would stay outside all day every day if I had the opportunity. I spend much of the summer months working out in the back yard instead of cooped up in my office because I am MUCH happier doing so… When this humidity hits, however, it makes that a lot more challenging!
Whether you are camping, hanging out in your back yard or just don’t currently have air conditioning available at home – Here are some of my go to tricks for cooling down on a hot day:
- Drink lots of water. The more cool fluids you are putting into your body, the more effective they will be at keeping your body temperature down. Find plain water to be boring? Add your favourite fruits to infuse some great flavour into your glass!
- Fans are your friend! If you don’t have air conditioning in your home, it’s time to break them out! Create a cross-breeze to keep airflow moving, use a simple box fan in a window to expel hot air from a room, or go old-school and place a pan or bowl full of ice in front of a fan to create your own makeshift air conditioning!
- Choose your clothing carefully – You don’t want to make this more difficult on yourself! Lightweight clothing that will allow breathability. Choose something loose fitting like a simple cotton t-shirt. You can also dampen a t-shirt in cool water then put it on to help cool yourself off even further.
- Make a homemade slushie or freeze some homemade popsicles. You can mix up the flavour any way you choose, creating a tasty treat that you love and will keep you cooled off.
- Cool your feet by placing them in a small container of cool water for a short period of time. You will feel the relief, and you can just relax and let them soak for a bit!
- This is a trick that they teach you in first aid: If you are needing to cool down fast place your ice packs on the inside of your wrists, on your ankles or behind your knees. These are pulse points in the body, and it will surprise you just how well they work!
- Go for a swim if you have access to a pool or a lake nearby. You may find this funny, but even a small children’s pool can help to cool you off. I have filled up the children’s pool in the past and just sat in it to read because it felt so good! You can also take a cool shower, or run a cool bath for the same effect.
- Create a cold compress with things you have around the house! Take a sock, fill it with rice and tie it off. Throw your makeshift compress into the freezer for an hour. It will hold onto the cold for up to 30 minutes! If you make multiple you can keep them rotating as necessary, it’s not like they are expensive to make!
- Avoid the stove. Turning on your oven to cook is only going to heat up your house! Why add additional heat to an already sticky situation (see what I did there lol sweat, sticky? Haha). Either enjoy light snacks and meals that don’t require cooking like fruits, vegetables, salads, and sandwiches, or take this as an opportunity to break out the BBQ for some outdoor cooking, leaving the heat outside where it belongs!
- Have trouble sleeping in the heat? Throw your sheets and pillowcases into the freezer for a bit before climbing into bed, creating a cool, comfortable environment to help you doze off!
On that note, I’m off to grab a big glass of ice water and hit the pool to bring my temperature down and make me comfortable! Good luck in beating this heat!
Do you have ‘go to’ tricks for keeping yourself cool? Share them in the comments below!