If we’ve heard it once, we’ve heard it a million times – make sure that you drink your water! Drinking your water is good for your health! You must have 8 glasses per day to keep your body healthy…
Have you ever found that the more you hear something brought up, the more you find yourself shrugging it off and just generally not caring? That’s me, I admit it 110%! I KNOW that drinking water is good, I have known this for years, and I go through phases. Sometimes I drink TONS of water, always on top of my goals, no issues, whereas other times I struggle a bit.
I can’t even deny that I see the impact when I slack off… because I do!
It was one of these ‘I know I’m slacking and I really need to get back on top of this’ moments the other day that ended up with me doing some research to remind myself (remember, I’ve heard these things, as I’m sure you have, a million times, but a reminder is never a bad thing) why I should make a point of carrying my water bottle around with me everywhere I go.
With that in mind, I wanted to share them with all of you! If you are needing a little motivation, or just a general kick in the butt, here are 10 health benefits to drinking water:
- It replenishes the moisture in your skin, increasing its elasticity. This means that it will help to delay the appearance of signs of aging like fine lines and wrinkles.
- It will help to combat skin disorders such as psoriasis, wrinkles and eczema.
- It works to increase the body’s metabolic rate, and improves the digestive system helping it to flush out toxins.
- It encourages efficient and healthy hair growth. Remember, water makes up almost ¼ of the weight of a strand of hair!
- It helps to keep our body fluids stable, which promotes healthy digestion, circulation, absorption, production of saliva and transportation of various nutrients throughout the body.
- It works to help prevent headaches – did you know that a good majority of the headaches experienced by otherwise healthy people is due to dehydration?
- Your muscles are made up of up to 75% water, making it super important that you keep providing them with enough water! Doing so will help keep the contraction normal, and prevent cramping.
- Dehydration causes water retention in the feet, hands and legs. If your body is getting a regular source of water, it won’t feel the need to store the water in this way.
- Your kidney is unable to function properly when it is short on water. Providing adequate hydration will allow it to stay healthy! It will help to flush out the toxins and prevent kidney stones.
- Drinking water will actually help to promote your mental health! Studies have shown that the brain is highly sensitive to dehydration, and even mild dehydration can cause negative effects on memory and feelings of anxiety.
You can help to encourage yourself by flavouring your water. Some companies sell the packets, although I personally prefer to just cut up lemons and limes. I cut them into slices, and freeze them, so they double as a flavour boost AND an ice cube – Win/Win! HERE is another site I have kept saved in favourites for ideas to make my water more interesting from time to time!
What tricks do you use to keep your water consumption up?